If you are involved in an automobile collision, you should always remain at the scene of the accident until you have met your legal obligations to provide your information or render assistance to anyone injured in the crash. If you left the scene without notifying anyone, then a criminal investigation has already begun.

Local law enforcement agencies use officers with special training to investigate hit-and-run cases even if no one was injured. If you left the scene of an accident after a crash, you need a criminal defense attorney equally trained in these types of cases to help you at every stage in the process.

Attorney for Hit-and-Run Crimes in Ventura County, CA

If you left the scene of a crash without authorization, it is important to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to assist you during the subsequent hit-and-run investigation and the subsequent steps in the criminal justice process until the final conclusion of the case.

The police will want you to apply pressure and force you to admit that you were present at the accident, but we can help ensure that they respect your right to remain silent and do not repeatedly come to your home or work to interrogate you about the case. If necessary, Jay Leiderman Law can also help you deal with the insurance company to pay any claims or the claims of anyone else involved in the crash who suffered personal injury or property damage. Admissions to police can hurt you later, and making a false statement to your insurance company can result in additional charges, so contact an attorney about what to do next after an accident instead of trying to talk your way out of it.

Our goal is guaranteeing that your rights are protected during the investigation and making sure that you benefit from a vigorous defense throughout the court process. Because so much hinges on the preliminary investigation in a hit-and-run case, don’t hesitate to contact Jay Leiderman Law right away – getting an early start by retaining a lawyer quickly can give you best possible chances for a satisfactory outcome. Call us at (805) 654-0200 to schedule a free initial consultation and discuss strategy.

Overview of Hit-and-Run Law in California

Back to top

Driver’s License Points for Hit-and-Run in California

If you are involved in a vehicle collision, then you should stop and remain at the scene until your reporting requirements are satisfied and you have helped anyone injured during the crash. If you leave the scene of the crash before complying with your legal duties, then you might be charged with the crime of “hit-and-run.”

If you are convicted of hit-and-run, then you will receive two points on your driving record. Convictions for hit-and-run remain on your record for 10 years from the violation date. The DMV will revoke your driver’s license if you are convicted of a hit-and-run or reckless driving that resulted in injury.

Back to top

In many cases you are be required to report an accident to the police or California Highway Patrol (CHP). The crash must be reported in writing to the police or CHP immediately if anyone is killed or injured and law enforcement was not present at the scene.

Additionally, you must provide your driver license, vehicle registration card, evidence of financial responsibility, and current address to the other driver or persons involved, or to any law enforcement officer investigating the crash. Evidence of financial responsibility is usually in the form of an insurance company name and policy number.

If no one is injured or killed in the crash, then you should move your vehicle off the street or highway. If you fail to move your vehicle, any peace officer or authorized personnel may have your vehicle removed and impounded as provided in Vehicle Code §22651 and §22651.05.

If you crash into unattended property like a parked vehicle or mail box you should try to locate the owner of the property. If you can’t find the owner of the property then leave a note with your name and address (and the name and address of the owner of the vehicle you are driving) in the vehicle or securely attached to it. Afterwards, report the collision to the police, or in unincorporated areas, to CHP.

If there is more than $1,000 in damage to the property of any person or if anyone is killed or injured (no matter how slightly), you are required to report the crash by completing a Report of Traffic Accident Occurring in California (SR 1) form to DMV within 10 days.

Back to top

Bail for Different Types of Hit and Run Crimes

According to the misdemeanor bail schedule for Section 20002(A), misdemeanor hit-and-run has a presumptive bail amount of $5,000. Leaving the scene of a traffic crash or accident that resulted in injury or death can also lead to felony hit-and-run charges. Hit-and-run with injury has a presumptive bail amount of $50,000, while hit-and-run with death has a presumptive bail amount of $100,000

The court might also impose a “Vehicle Code Enhancement” under Section 20001(c) for Fleeting the Scene of the Crime after Commission of Vehicular Manslaughter in the amount of $50,000.

Back to top

Additional Resources

Hit-and-Run Crashes: Prevalence, Contributing Factors and Countermeasures – Here is a detailed informational brief about hit-and-run crashes compiled by AAA. Contained are statistics about hit-and-runs showing that the rates of these accidents and deaths resulting from them are both increasing in the United States. The effectiveness of laws designed to discourage fleeing the scene of an accident are also discussed.

Back to top

Ventura Hit-and-Run Defense Lawyer

Your freedom, finances, and ability to drive are all threatened by a conviction for hit-and-run. Retaining an aggressive hit-and-run defense attorney immediately is the best course of action if you or a loved one is caught up in a hit-and-run investigation.

At Jay Leiderman Law, we represent clients in all ten Ventura County cities – Camarillo, Fillmore, Moorpark, Ojai, Oxnard, Port Hueneme, Santa Paula, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, and Ventura itself – in criminal cases involving charges ranging from petty theft to murder in both state and federal court. Jay Leiderman can use his extensive knowledge of California law to find the weaknesses in the prosecutions case against you and put you in an ideal position to resolve your hit-and-run case favorably. Don’t hesitate and let the clock run on the state’s hit-and-run investigation – call (805) 654-0200 today to schedule a free initial strategy session and put our skill to work for you.

Back to top